Updating LanSchool Remotely
LanSchool Classic for Windows and MacOS devices can be remotely upgrade multiple ways. Remote upgrades are helpful in updating many devices at one time quickly.
The LanSchool Classic Student Chromebook application is updated automatically.
If you do not have access to the latest version of LanSchool you will need to contact your sales representative to renew your license.
Once the latest version is downloaded you can upgrade your LanSchool Teacher, Tech Console and Students multiple ways.
Remotely Updating Teachers and Students via LanSchool Connection Service
The LanSchool Connection Service (LCS) can be configured to automatically deliver updated versions to Windows or macOS devices with LanSchool Teacher or LanSchool Student already installed and configured. The automatic update process will update the version of the software but will not modify any configuration settings.
- Update the LanSchool Connection Service to the latest version. In My Computer, go to the LanSchool product download location and double-click LCS.msi in the Windows>>Connection Server folder.
- Once the LCS is updated, copy the latest version of the teacher and student installers based on the type of devices in your environment.
- Windows: teacher.msi & student.msi
- Mac: lanschool_teacher.dmg, lanschool_student.dmg, mupdate.zip & mtupdate.zip
Paste the teacher and/or student installers in C:\Program Files (x86)\LanSchool on the LCS.
- Access Windows Services.
- Locate the LanSchool Connection Server Service and select Restart.
Once the service has restarted, any connected device will be automatically updated to the version of LanSchool that was copied to the LCS.
Remotely Updating Students via the LanSchool Teacher Console
You can update Windows and Mac student devices from both Windows and Mac Teacher Consoles.
- Update the LanSchool Teacher Console to the latest version. Go to the product download location and double-click teacher.msi in the Windows folder or lanschool_teacher.dmg in the Mac folder.
Once the teacher console is updated, copy the latest version of the student installer based on the type of student devices in your environment.
- Windows student device: student.msi
- Mac student device: lanschool_student.dmg & mupdate.zip
Paste the student installer in the respected folder based on the type of teacher device.
- Windows Teacher Console: C:\Program Files (x86)\LanSchool
- Mac Teacher Console: Applications/LanSchool
- In the Teacher Console, select which students you would like to upgrade in the teacher console.
- Once selected, go to Administer >> Update LanSchool on Selected Students.
- Select Yes to confirm the update.
- The student devices may disappear from the teacher console for a short while and then reappear updated to the version of LanSchool that was copied to the teacher device.
Remotely Updating LanSchool Teachers and Students via the LanSchool Tech Console
You can update Windows and Mac student and teacher devices from both Windows and Mac Tech Consoles.
- Update the LanSchool Tech Console to the latest version. Go to the product download location, open the TechConsole folder and double-click on TechConsole.msi for Windows or lanschool_tech_console.dmg for Mac.
Once the Tech Console is updated, copy the latest version of the student or teacher installers based on the type of student and teacher console devices in your environment.
Windows: teacher.msi & student.msi
lanschool_teacher.dmg, lanschool_student.dmg, mupdate.zip & mtupdate.zip
Paste the student and/or teacher installers in the respected folder based on the type of Tech Console device.
- In the Tech Console, select which students and/or teachers you would like to update.
- Once selected, go to Manage >> Update LanSchool on Selected Users.
- The next window prompt will ask if you would like to retain current settings or update the students and/or teachers with new settings. Select which option(s) you would like to use.
The next prompt will require you to input either a Local Admin Account
Domain Admin Account credentials that have correct permissions to push out the update(s).
Updating macOS devices will require a root admin local account
The devices may
disappear from the Tech Console for a short while and then reappear updated to the version of LanSchool copied to the Tech Console device.
Additional Methods to Update LanSchool
- Manually update each Teacher and Student device by running the latest installers
- Mass Deploy the update using a scripted installation, software deployment tool, or Group Policy.
Using the LanSchool Tech Console
Overview The use model for Tech Console is quite similar to LanSchool Teacher consoles. The Tech Console can be launched from the LanSchool icon in the system tray for Windows or from the dock icon on Mac. The Tech Console includes a number of ...
Troubleshooting "Sleeping" Students in the LanSchool Connection Server
Overview The LanSchool Connection Server cannot detect if the student device is asleep, shutdown or disconnected from the network. Due to this design, it will leave the student in a "sleeping" state and wait for it to come back later. On the Teacher ...
Installing the LanSchool Report Server
Overview The Report Server retains the software and hardware inventory information scanned from Student machines. If it is installed in combination with LanSchool v9.0 Classroom Management software, inventory information from Teacher machines is also ...
Remotely Configuring Mac Teacher Console after Installation
Overview If changes need to be made to the LanSchool Teacher Console settings after installation is complete, the lstconfig utility is a tool that can be used to aid in the remote configuration. The lstconfig utility is provided in the LanSchool ...
Mass Deploying LanSchool Student for Windows
Overview The student.msi can be deployed using a software distribution tool like Group Policy, SCCM, or PDQDeploy Below are command-line options to install LanSchool. For insturctions on installing the Windows client on individual devices, see ...
Limiting Website Use
Overview To block troublesome or distracting websites or limit students to a select few websites pertinent to the class, use the Limit Web feature in LanSchool Classic. The teacher can choose to restrict all web activity, allow only certain websites, ...
LanSchool Classic Teacher Guide
LanSchool Classic Teacher Console The LanSchool Teacher Console is the interface teachers will use to manage their classroom and students. It contains all the tools necessary for a teacher to effectively interact with students and create a ...
Installing LanSchool Teacher for Windows
Overview The following instructions will assist you with manually installing LanSchool Classic Teacher Console on a single Windows device. For information on installing the student client or mass deploying LanSchool throughout your organization, see ...
Latest Release Notes
LanSchool Classic Release Notes Customers with an active LanSchool subscription will have access to download the latest version from the LanSchool Customer Portal. For instructions, see Downloading LanSchool Installers. LanSchool Classic 188.8.131.52 ...
Blanking Student Screens
Overview Blank student screens on your channel and disable student keyboards and mice. This feature is useful when you want to lecture without the distraction of students playing with their computers, or you need to quickly gather their attention. ...
Configuring LCS Redirection
Overview In multiple LanSchool Connection Service scenarios, LCS Redirection allows administrators to set a default student LCS configuration where a MASTER LCS will send students to their correct LCS. The choice of LCS is configured based on the IP ...
Deploying LanSchool Classic Using Jamf Pro
Overview The LanSchool Classic for macOS agents supports a few different deployment methods. See Mass Deploying LanSchool Student for macOS or Mass Deploying LanSchool Teacher for macOS for more detailed instructions. Please note that our support ...
Disabling Fast User Switching
Overview LanSchool Classic does not support Windows Fast User Switching feature. The student client will not function properly when the computer is switched to a second user account. It is recommended to disable Fast User Switching in order for the ...
Using Enable Channel Select Utility
Overview LanSchool Classic comes packaged with utilities that can help administrators with making changes to already installed clients. The Enable Channel Select utility allows teachers to be able to change their teacher channel, view multiple ...
Viewing Student Screens
Overview Screen Monitoring mimics the classroom environment, enabling teachers to provide assistance and encouragement to keep students on task. Opening the LanSchool Teacher Console On a Windows teacher computer, you will see a small LanSchool icon ...